All of us have over the course of our lives encountered women, but how much of women do we actually know? From interesting facts we always thought were true, to the less known quirky habits, to some plain pointless and random facts about women, we put together a list of interesting and humorous bits of information you might find familiar, or even embarrassing. For all the women reading this getting a bit worried that we are going to poke fun at you, rest assured, we absolutely will.
- The English word “girl” was initially used to describe a young person of either sex. It was not until the beginning of the sixteenth century that the term was used specifically to describe a female child.
- Women speak an average of 20,000 words a day, a whooping 13,000 more words than their male counterparts. Apparently there is some science involved as well, so be careful before you start using this fact against a woman.
- Generally considered the world’s first novel, The Tale of Genji, was published in Japan around A.D. 1000 by female author Murasaki Shikibu.
- Over the course of a woman’s entire lifetime, she will have eaten about 2-3 kilos of lipstick! I guess we take acquiring ‘inner beauty’ a little too seriously sometimes.
- This fact will surprise you. In Saudi Arabia, a wife is allowed to divorce her husband if he does not supply her with fresh coffee. Now that’s strange, but I don’t think there are any complaints on this one.
- When applying mascara, we absolutely cannot keep our mouths closed. We don’t know why, but we just can’t.
- In Morrisville, Pennsylvania, it is illegal for a woman to wear cosmetics without a permit. True beauty at its best, I see what they did there.
- A study found that women spend 335 hours, or two weeks, on their hair and makeup per year, which equates to about 55 minutes a day.
- The average woman owns 20 pairs of shoes, but only wears 5 pairs regularly. Seems like it is true when they say it is easy to earn a woman’s money.
- The last of all, and probably the most encouraging and inspiring. The youngest CEO of a Fortune 500 company is a woman. On July 17, 2012, Marissa Ann Mayer became the boss at Yahoo at the age of 37. Speak of woman power!
Whether or not you have a woman in your life, statistics have shown that 100% of the human race has been kept in continuation because of women. Be thankful for the women in your life, and to all women – Happy International Women’s Day!